Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What's On Your Workbench Wednesday 275-Fabric Dyeing In The Sun

It's time to play What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday (WOYWW) and its simply a group of creators and artists from all over the World, whom post pictures of what is on their work desks each Wednesday. The ring leader(founder) and where you put the link to your post is on Julia's blog here. I hadn't joined for ages due to various things but as I decided to get creative today I decided to join in!

My knee has been slow to heal and had laid me up for the last ten days after a small operation. The last three days my ability to bend my knee has returned...well enough to do some things but not others...still I'm happy to be moving more freely with less pain. It's coincided with the weather here being so beautiful at the moment. Long sunny days and big blue skies. 

So today I decided to try some fabric dyeing. We have been doing some in the fibre arts class I am doing at the moment but I hadn't tried any at home yet till today. I had some Dala sun colour paints for many years and had never opened them till now. These are very vibrant fabric paints that react to sunlight. I wet the fabric, randomly squirted the paints around and then placed stencils, masks and even plastic faux lace tablecloth on top and left them in the sun to dry. Once dried I took off the items and heat set them in the dryer before putting thru a cold water rinse cycle in the washing machine. I really loved how the T shirt worked out...



These next two I did the same thing but I used prepared for dyeing calico



The last few items I ground up some seeds from this ?African plant below



Then I mixed in alcohol to make a runny dye and this is what the colour came out. I used the lace strips to soak up the last bits of dye.


It's been a fun day and I think I shall be doing more dyeing soon! Now though its time to see what's on other peoples desks around the World. Oh and if you would like to see some photos from my local area here in Oz (I live in World Heritage listed wet tropics) look below as I did allot of sight seeing while hosting Flat Susan for a month for Neet.
hugs
Annette In Oz

18 comments:

glitterandglue said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day, Annette. Great results - love the tee shirt!! The fabric pieces look really good, too. The dyes have come out well.
Thanks for visiting - take care of that knee! The dress is the second of the two I have made - the first was posted on WOYWW273 a fortnight ago if you want to peek.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #4

sandra de said...

Great pics of your dying experiment .... the end results are fab. Then I looked at your previous post and I was blown away. You must live in one of the most beautiful spots in OZ every photo is stunning. Hope you heal quickly and get to do lots more creative stuff. Always lovely to drop by and say hello.
Sandra de @26

Eliza said...

Hi Annette thanks for the beautiful tag, Flat Susan is here safe and sound, hot of the tail of a very nasty storm but she is fine.

I am loving the dye-ing you have been doing and have some lace that needs some work doing to it. Gosh you got my head happening in manic mode with that idea.

Good to hear the knee is on the mend and you are getting better.

must go need to eat and check on the kids.

Hugs Eliza, Yoda & Flat Susan.
happy WOYWW

Hazel said...

The fabric dyeing was obviously so successful - love the Tshirt. Thanks for sharing your workspace today. Hope you have a great day and a lovely crafting week to come. Hazel, WOYWW #45 x

Chrysalis said...

It's all lovely, Annette, but the T shirt is amazing! Happy WOYWW, Chris # 34

Carole said...

That is one totally unique and gorgeous t-shirt. Be well ~ Carole #71

Helen said...

Glad to see you back "desking" (and thanks for already visiting) - glad your knee is recovering too. Your tshirt is just beautiful!! Helen 6

Kelly said...

The t-shirt is stunning! I've never heard of those paints. ::: covering eyes :::

Glad to hear you are on the mend and that you've joined us! Creative Blessings! Kelly #67

Chris Arlington said...

Lovely creations Annette. You should post on FACEBOOK, too.

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

Hi Annette

Tried to comment on your blog today but clicking on ‘comments’ did nothing at all. You might want to check it out.
Love those t-shirt shots - brilliant colours, must look up those dyes.
Hugs, Neet 35 xx

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Good to see you back Annette.... and love the dying how utterly clever is that .. trust your knee will heal asap! thanks for popping over Shaz in Oz.x #13

Anonymous said...

Loving the dye work. Stunning vibrant colours! My MIL is due (OMG! In 2 weeks!) and she has done a lot of fabric work. Maybe it'll be a fun task one day. Of course here in the UK we need to wait for sunshine..... :)

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (2)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Annette, great to see the results of your dyeing experiments. I think you're very brave, I would be worried about getting dye all over the place.
I had a look at the earlier post, Flat Susan looked to be having a great time with you, she is brave too as some of the places she went to looked a bit dangerous but she obviously has complete confidence in you so that is good.
Happy crafting and have a great week, Angela x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry foget to leave my number, Angela x 44

VonnyK said...

I'm absolutely in love with your t shirt, the colours and the stencil are just fabulous. We sure do live in a wonderful country and you are in the most beautiful part of it. The photos are stunning. I hope your knee gets better soon, I have a dicky knee too, so I feel your pain.
Have a great week.
Von #39

Nikki said...

Welcome back glad to see your still around and I LOVE that t shirt you made those colours are so vibrant and bold it's just fantastic those dyes are sweet :)
look forward to seeing more
hugs Nikki 8

Kyla said...

Brilliant results...and slightly weird as I have also be using sun reactive dyes on t shirts this week!!!

Kyla #8

Mrs.D said...

Annette, you have had fun, I love that idea of solar developing, I tried to find them on line, but the particular brand seems to be only available in Aus and NZ. Hope your knee is better soon.
Thanks for visiting me, but don't feel pressured because I am making Christmas cards, there is plenty of time yet
Chris #11

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...